Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Last night when I got on the tram to go home, a guy sat down nearby who was missing part of his arm (midway between the wrist and elbow). All of a sudden he took out a lighter and started flickering it around his stump. I was trying not to look too closely, in part because I didn't want to stare (although it would have been very Swiss to stare--if staring were an Olympic sport, the Swiss would definitely medal), and in part because it was making me a bit queasy. When he was done with the lighter, he spent the rest of the time picking at the stump. Again, I have no idea what exactly he was doing (I was on the verge of vomiting at this point), but I have to say it's the first--and hopefully the last--time I've seen someone pay so much attention to their stump in a public venue. (This was after Gretchen complained about someone clipping his fingernails on the train from Basel to Freiburg--let me tell you, I'll take clipping fingernails over burning and picking at a stump any old day.)