Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Semifinals

Since I didn't make enough of an idiot of myself with the last round of picks, I'm a glutton for punishment so let me try again for the semifinals of Euro 2004 (heck, if I get even one right that bumps my percentage up from 25% to 50%).

Tonight: Portugal vs. Netherlands. This is the tougher of the two matches to pick, and will probably be the better match (just like I thought Czech Republic-Denmark would be a good match...oops). Portugal's got the home-team thing going on and everyone says it's a great place to visit, but when do you ever hear about anything in Portugal? It's not quite as obscure as, say, Luxembourg or Malta, but it's pretty much overshadowed by Spain. The Netherlands, on the other hand, are the closest thing to a big country left in the tournament, and unlike Portugal, everyone knows about the Dutch because of their liberal attitudes toward drugs, sex, assisted suicide, etc. (I'm thinking this is not the favored team of the Republican Party). I work with a fair number of people from the Netherlands and they're eminently sensible and practical (they're like the Canadians of Europe) and all seem to speak at least four languages fluently (including English, which they speak better than me and most other Americans). So, good reasons to pull for both of them. All the pressure is on Portugal as the home team, but the Netherlands have a long history of underachieving in tournaments like this. It's a toss of the coin, but I'll go with Portugal riding local support to the finals in a close match.

Tomorrow: Czech Republic vs. Greece. This is easy, since the Czech Republic was the only team I picked correctly in the last round. Greece has been a nice story, but it would probably be for the best if they and their fans were to get back to Athens as soon as possible to help out with the Olympic preparations. Time's a-wastin'! Also, I've been to Prague but never to Greece (does having been in a fraternity in college count?), so I have a personal tie to the Czech Republic. Greece probably has better food, but the Czech Republic has better beer. Put it all together and Czech Republic it is.

(All of which means that chances are it'll be a Netherlands-Greece final...)