Sunday, June 20, 2004

Some good days in Wisconsin

Having a loved one with terminal cancer often helps me to remember to enjoy the most simple pleasures in life. We had a good weekend with some noteworthy adventures. On Friday, for the first time in 2 months, my Mom felt good enough to go out for lunch at the Original House of Pancakes (OHOP as Kirk likes to say). This was after she shook her finger at her tummy (the alleged home of her tumors) and said "Shape up, guys, I want to go out for lunch so you better behave". Any of you who know my Mom will not be surprised to hear that she's kept a sense of humor through it all. On Saturday, my sister and I took our Mom to her favorite local farmer's market where we bought some squeaky, fresh cheese curds along with some produce. Later in the day, my sister and I even managed to find time to get a pedicure (I recommend Aphrodite's Pink Nightie from OPI for a new summer color) and stop at Dairy Queen (I love red dilly bars). I know, it's a far cry from exploring the Alps with my beloved husband, but right now I am thankful for every day that I have with my Mom. By the way, does anyone know how OHOP manages to make the 49er flapjacks so gooey?