Saturday, July 31, 2004

Do I have a healthy glow?

One of my tasks here in Madison has been to clear out paints, cleaners, etc., from the basement. The county collects hazardous materials, so I loaded up the car with a bunch of old aerosol cans, etc. As I was going through the shelves in the basement, I found a container about the size of a can of frozen orange juice that must have weighed ten pounds. Thinking this was odd, I looked at the label and it turns out it was a lead canister of radioactive iodine. In the basement! You expect to find some strange things when you clean out an old house, but I have to say I wasn't really planning to find--let alone handle--radioactive materials. (No, I haven't a clue why my father-in-law would have had radioactive iodine, unless he was a superhero on the side. I mean, he was a pharmacist, but so is Gretchen's sister and she also can't figure out why that would be in the basement next to the spray paints and insecticides.) So naturally I threw it in with the rest of the hazardous materials and took it to the disposal site, where they took one look at it and said they'd never had anyone try to drop something like that off before. They also said they couldn't take it and suggested I take it to the University of Wisconsin, although I couldn't find the building they described (the way they backed away from the thing, I think they just made something up on the spot to get me out of there). Since I couldn't find the building but was also not eager to handle the canister again, I've spent the past several days driving around town with this thing rolling around in the trunk. I'm hoping it's so old that it's no longer potent; otherwise I'm either going to be sterile or will set off security alerts at the airport. On the plus side, my night vision may be greatly enhanced.