Monday, August 23, 2004

Life is good

After a long, yet relatively low-stress day of travel-- including a 3 hour bus ride from Milwaukee to O'Hare, an 8 hour flight from O'Hare to Frankfurt, and a 3 hour train ride from Frankfurt to Basel-- I arrived home to Basel about 3:00 Friday afternoon. I have to say that it feels really good to be home. It feels surprisingly familiar-- almost as if the last 4 months were a dream and that I was gone just a week. Kirk had several surprises for me. While I was gone he bought some new furniture at IKEA, hung pictures on the wall, and bought me my very own mobile! (Remember-- we're in Europe now, it's a mobile, not a cell phone) Other than my gigantic suitcases which remain upacked and cluttering up our room, I have to say that the flat looks really good with Kirk's new decorating. As for Grady, he wasn't sure that he remembered me at first and I suspect it may take him a few days to adjust to me being his primary caregiver and walking partner. Nonetheless, he makes me smile.