Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Matterhorn

Tomorrow afternoon we're off to Zermatt for a long weekend. I don't think they've had much snow lately, so I'm not sure how good the skiing will be--in any event, hopefully I'll do better than last time. What I'm really looking forward to, though, is seeing the Matterhorn up close. See, I think everybody who grew up in Southern California has a special affinity for the Matterhorn. Why? Because when you were driving to Disneyland along I-5 through the bleak outskirts of Anaheim, all of a sudden in the distance you would spot a glimpse of a snow-capped peak over the top of the business parks, storage facilities, and strip malls. It would fade in and out of view--such a tease when you're seven years old!--until all of a sudden, looming before you was the grandeur of the Matterhorn. Good times, I tell you...

So anyway, now I get to see the real thing, and I have a feeling it just might be even more impressive than the miniature fiberglass version in Anaheim. And if that weren't exciting enough, Vanilla Ninja will be in Zermatt this weekend! Not that I have the slightest clue who Vanilla Ninja actually are, but it sure sounds like a big deal.