Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I eat alone

For two meals in a row (both lunch and dinner today) I ate in restaurants where not only was I the only person eating alone, but I was also the only woman among a sea of Japanese men in suits. I had read that people didn't often eat alone, and that men like to go to yakatori restaurants for a drink and a light dinner after work, so I should have expected it. But what else am I supposed to do when I'm in a foreign country, staying at a hotel, and my husband is in meetings all day (and work dinners at night)? Actually, I did stay in last night because I picked up a bento box for dinner at one of the big department stores in the Ginza district. (Department stores here often have amazing food sections.) As I mentioned, I had yakatori for dinner tonight which is basically grilled chicken on a skewer (and variations such as chicken meatballs, chicken wings, etc). For lunch I had zaru soba which is cold soba noodles with strips of seaweed served on a bamboo plate. And so the good eating continues...