Tuesday, May 17, 2005

My new discovery

I'm very excited about my new discovery. This afternoon I found my new favorite grocery store. It's called Hieber's Frische Center and it's in Lörrach. Lörrach is one of Basel's border towns, meaning it's just across the border into Germany. I'm sure I've mentioned before that lots of Basel expats go shopping in Germany and/or France because it's so much cheaper (and it's close). I've never been a big fan of Géant, the big store in St. Louis (a French town just across the border), but I stop there from time to time because they do have a good selection of meat at half the price of what I pay in Switzerland. I also went once to Marktkauf in Weil-am-Rhein (a German town just across the border), but for some reason never went back, despite my initial enthusiasm. I guess I've just gotten used to my usual shopping routine at my neighborhood Coop and have been too lazy to think about driving to Germany. Now I really do have a reason to go across the border to go shopping. A few of my friends have been talking about Hieber and finally one of them showed me where it is. It actually felt like a store from home. It was big, and bright, and actually pleasant! Maybe I'll actually enjoying grocery shopping rather than feeling like it's a chore. The prices were good-- not as cheap as Geant, but certainly cheaper than Switzerland. The selection was also good and I came home with lots of good food for the week.