Thursday, September 29, 2005

Make new friends...

Remember that song from when we were kids? "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold..." That's what came into my mind as I started this post. For some reason lately I seem to be making lots of new friends. I'm thrilled about this. For quite a while after moving to Basel I felt like I met a lot of nice people, but none of them were really the type of people I'd love to hang out with on a regular basis. A coffee from time to time, but that's about it. At some point I realized (and accepted) that there was really no way to replicate all the amazing friendships I have back in the US. But considering how much I miss my friends at home (in DC, in Wisconsin, in other various parts of the country and the world) I really wanted to find some new friends whose company I really enjoy. Then, all of a sudden, I realize that I have it! I feel truly blessed to have met some really great women in Basel (all expats, of course) who I connect well with and who are fun to hang out with. I got together with a new American friend today and we had a great time. It's weird, but sometimes it feels like I'm going on a blind date when I get together with a new friend. We meet for coffee, or lunch, or a walk, and then, if it goes well we continue the "date" and go shopping or something. Later, Kirk will ask about it and say something like "So, did you like her?"

I'm going on another blind date of sorts tomorrow. But not really, because I feel like I already know her! I'll be getting together with Ms. Mac, who up until now we've only known through the blogging world. I have to take Grady to visit his surgeon in Zurich for a follow-up appointment tomorrow, and afterward we'll drive over to Ms. Mac's village outside of Zurich for lunch and a chat (and maybe a walk if Grady's up for it). I'm very excited about my trip to Zurich, and about the chance to meet yet another Swiss expat blogger in person.

As for the "old" friends, we're super excited that some of our DC friends are coming to visit us in Basel next week! Pete and Zoe and baby Abby are arriving on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to being able to show them around Basel and take them on a couple day trips while we're here. We miss our DC friends so much and it will be great to have a little bit of our home life right here in Basel.