Thursday, August 31, 2006

Wonderful

When planning our trip to Spain, we were warned by several folks to book our tickets for the Alhambra in advance if we don't want to wait in line in the searing heat for hours or, even worse, not get in at all. We got it sorted out with no problems, and somewhere along the way I stumbled across an exhortation to vote for the Alhambra as one of the new 7 Wonders of the World (I guess since 6 of the 7 original Wonders of the World no longer exist).

So I took a look at the nominees, and while the concept is kind of cheesy, it got me wondering how many of them I had either actually seen or might see in the future.

Places I've been fortunate enough to see
Colosseum, Rome
Eiffel Tower, Paris (but no desire to go to the top--too claustrophobic)
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul
Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto
Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany (at least from a distance)
Pyramids of Giza, Egypt (even if we got there too early to actually go in)
Statue of Liberty, New York
Sydney Opera House

Places I might see this year if things work out
Alhambra, Spain (in 2 weeks)
Chichen Itza, Mexico (in October)
Great Wall of China (also in October)
Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro (in December)

Places I'd love to see but would have to be lucky to get there
Acropolis, Athens
Angkor Wat, Cambodia
Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow
Machu Picchu, Peru
Petra, Jordan
Taj Mahal, India

Place I'm oddly uninterested in seeing
Stonehenge, England

Places I don't have a chance in hell of ever seeing
Easter Island
Timbuktu

Place I've been that I can't believe didn't make the cut
Corn Palace (the world's only, by the way), South Dakota