Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Was it really that bad?

There was a guy on the bus this morning sitting up front and having a lively chat with the bus driver. I'm not quite sure how it came up, but at one point he said: "Man, I lived in Madison, Wisconsin1 for nine months. Everyone looked the same, talked the same2...they say they're liberal3, but I don't know...I couldn't wait to get out of that place4."

1My lovely wife's hometown. I sometimes tease her about deep down inside it's actually one of my favorite towns (just don't tell her I said so).

2He was African-American, and (especially compared to the DC area) Wisconsin can be a bit lily white at times, so I can see where he's coming from.

3Definitely part of Madison's reputation.

4I say the same thing every time I make the mistake of visiting during the winter.