Friday, September 14, 2007

Really, we're still here

I just looked at the blog and realized it's been 10 days since we posted anything. I think that has to be the longest we've ever gone without posting something since we started the blog nearly 4 years ago (except for when we've been on vacation and without computer access).

Not that I have anything noteworthy to post. Here's what's been going on with us.

--Kirk just returned from a business trip to San Francisco. I'm happy to report that this was his first work trip since returning to the US 5 months ago. As much as we both love travel, I'm happy that he is no longer traveling as much as he used to. He may disagree with me, but I'm happy to have us just stay home for a while.

--Baby and I are finally settling into a routine of sorts. We go to a music class once a week, and a tumbling class once a week, and in between times we spend time on playdates, at the library, going on lots of walks, running errands, or just playing at home.

--In Basel, we used to spend time at Starbucks with my Moms group and their babies because it was the only comfortable, non-smoking place we could find. I've never been a fan of Starbucks. Now we're hanging out there again, this time in northern Virginia, and this time to hear a lady named Miss Belle sing goofy kids songs every Tuesday afternoon. It's free, it's a kid-fest, and it's a great place for me to meet other stay-at-home Moms. And Baby loves music. By the way, I still don't particularly like Starbucks.

--I think I may be a horrible mother. Listen to this. I introduced Baby to McDonald's for the first time yesterday. I can't believe I'm admitting this to the whole world. Even scarier is the fact that she loved it and ate an entire hamburger patty! Oh well, she hasn't been eating well lately and I've been trying like crazy to get some protein in her, so why not?!

--Baby has learned sign language. Not an official form of sign language, but rather a language she's made up on her own, based somewhat off of things I've shown her in a series of books called "Baby Signs for Animals" (and "...for Mealtime", and "...for Bedtime"). It is absolutely remarkable how she communicates now. She doesn't miss a thing. She is constantly doing a sign for something, even if it's not really what she sees. The most common signs she uses these days are butterfly and stars. As you can imagine, we don't often see butterflies and stars, but she often sees thing that, in her mind, resemble butterflies and stars. She also knows elephant, dog, cat, duck, bunny, book, bath, toothbrush, sleepy, more, eat, drink, swimming (she made that one up on her own), sun, moon, and phone. Did I miss anything?

--As for talking, "Mama" is about the only true word she says. She also says "Mama" if you ask her to say "Daddy". It's all about Mommy these days. "Baby" is her other almost-word. She says "baby" anytime she sees a baby or anything a baby uses, such as a carseat or stroller, and then points to herself and says "baby" just to remind us that she also is a baby. She makes lots of animal noises, including a very sweet, and not so fierce, "roar" for a bear or a lion, "baa" for a sheep, "ooo" for a monkey, and "mmm" for a cow. She has sounds for dog and cat as well, but I'm not sure how I would write them. She also likes to shush Grady when he's barking (ah yes, the power of imitation) and say "shhh" when she sees a baby sleeping. Isn't she smart?

--She may be the smartest baby I've ever met, but she's taking her own sweet time when it comes to walking. She's almost 15 months old and still hasn't taken any steps (other than a few now and then with my fingers assisting her). It's become very clear to us that she won't do anything until she can do it perfectly. Apparently she got this trait from her Dad. All the other kids her age are running around and falling and getting bruises and bloody lips and our cautious little girl does what she is sure she can do: crawl.

So that's what's been going on with us. Nothing too exciting... no wonder we're not blogging much anymore!