Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kitschmas

We don't necessarily have a lot of kitsch in our house, but not because I'm necessarily opposed to it (I obsessed for years about finding an authentic Swiss cowbell, for example...the purchase of which, by the way, was an outstanding decision, as was the ensuing decision NOT to buy a cuckoo clock in the Black Forest because that would be overkill). A little bit of well-placed kitsch, ironic or otherwise, can lend character to a house.

Which brings me to one of my purchases in Mexico:



Upon seeing this, Gretchen's immediate reaction was "we're not putting that in our house--we're not Catholic!" I tried to explain that it isn't necessarily a Catholic thing at all, and that of course it shouldn't be hung prominently but can rather be hung somewhere unobtrusive, but she's not having it. (Actually, I think the spray-painted gold frame, which was putting off some strong fumes when I opened it up, might have had something to do with her visceral reaction.)

The way I see it, there is probably nothing more iconic in Mexico (which I've already made clear I have a soft spot for) than La Virgen de Guadalupe (the Virgin of Guadalupe). It's not just a religious thing, either--there are social, political, and cultural dimensions that go far beyond religion. And her image is equally ubiquitous in Los Angeles, where I lived for several years and taught a large number of students whose families came from Mexico. On top of all that--and this is the real kicker--El Dia de la Virgen, or the Day of the Virgin, just happens to be celebrated every year...on my birthday! So it's obvious to me that she'll fit nicely somewhere in our house, Catholic or not. Now, if I only convince Gretchen...