Friday, May 30, 2008

Twister

While I grew up slightly--and perhaps disturbingly--obsessed with tornadoes as a direct result of watching The Wizard of Oz, the fact of the matter is that San Diego isn't exactly a tornado hotbed. Instead I grew up having to think about where to go if an earthquake were to hit, and we also had regular testing of air raid signals (it was a military town, after all). These days we have to think about what we would do if there were to be another act of terrorism in the DC area. What I've never had to give much thought to (although they do occasionally happen here) is what to do in the event of a tornado. In the Kansas City airport they give you helpful reminders:



And if that isn't enough, tornado sirens like this one in Nebraska City are a necessary fact of life:



Sure enough, the same day I was driving in Nebraska, part of the state was hit by tornadoes (which I only found out about today when my mom expressed relief to hear I was OK).