Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fatherhood

I continue to do my best to make the case that parental licenses should be required before having a child. Hopefully I'll never top rolling Mädchen's stroller (with her in it), but sometimes I wonder. This morning, for example, I went into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee for myself and for my Dad (Mädchen's Grandpa, who is visiting from Southern California). I guess I wasn't fully awake yet, because I came back in and put the steaming cup of hot coffee right in front of Mädchen instead of Grandpa--and it didn't immediately occur to me that this was really quite a stupid thing to do. Luckily Gretchen was there and asked what I was doing before Mädchen decided to give it a try, so no harm was done. Since then, however, Mädchen has taken every opportunity to laugh and say "Daddy give me hot coffee!" I'm just waiting to get a call from Child Protective Services when she starts telling this story to her teachers at school...