Sunday, January 04, 2009

Just let it go

I don't know if we've mentioned it, but Mädchen absolutely LOVES to read books. She wants to read multiple books when she wakes up in the morning and after her nap, at the dining room table, before bed, when she needs a little quiet time, etc. We probably go through at least 15 books a day with her. (Lest you think we're bragging about her being a bookworm, rest assured that she also loves her favorite TV shows--currently Little Einsteins and Dora the Explorer, and to a lesser extent Blue's Clues, Backyardigans, Max & Ruby, and Clifford the Big Red Dog--and whines loudly and insistently throughout the day about wanting to watch shows.)

Because she reads so many books, she's gotten to know some of them fairly well--to the extent that she corrects you if she thinks you've read something incorrectly. She's usually right, but lately I've found myself getting in little arguments with her about what I've read. For example, last night when I got to the part of the story where Peedie misplaces his baseball cap, Mädchen insisted that the two pictures of him without his cap on facing pages were actually his friends Gossie and Gertie. When I tried to gently correct her and point out that it was indeed Peedie, she insisted vehemently that it was Gossie and Gertie. I started to correct her again when it finally dawned on me that maybe it was kind of pathetic to be arguing with my two-year-old about what was in her book.

Add this to the list of things they don't tell you before you become a parent...