Sunday, April 04, 2004

The good thing about having such a long day on Thursday is that we finished what was supposed to be a two-day meeting in one--meaning on Friday I had a free day in London (don't you hate it when that happens?). We decided to head out of town to someplace neither of us had been before--Windsor Castle (home of the Queen and all that). We took a guided tour, which was quite interesting but also a bit mind-numbing trying to keep track of which King/Queen did what and when. I get the sense that British royalty is sort of like the American electoral college--if you don't grow up with it, you'll never really understand it. (Maybe that's a bad example...I grew up with the electoral college and I'm still not sure I understand it. But I digress. (Another digression--when we got back to German-speaking Basel today, Gretchen pronounced it "Vindsor" Castle.) After a quick walk across the Thames to Eton for lunch, we took the train back into London to do some shopping--along with every other Londoner on a sunny afternoon--and then met Gretchen's friends Kelly and Phil for Malaysian food at their place in Camden/Kentish Town.