Friday, April 09, 2004

One of the things I love the most about Basel (and Switzerland in general) is their love of dogs. It seems no matter where we go we see dogs-- they ride the trams (for half-price, I might add), they go into stores and restaurants, and many walk off leash around the city (with their owners in sight). As you might imagine, we're not able to do these kinds of things with our neurotic, yet lovable, Grady. The city even provides dog poop bags ("Hundekotsackchen") in these little green dispensers conveniently posted throughout the city. I had been told (by other Americans who previously lived here with dogs) that after using the little poop bags you could just set them along the curb and the city cleaner-men would pick them up. This has been the most exciting thing about walking Grady! You mean I can just drop his poop bag wherever I am? But wait... the other day we got something in the mail from the city vet office (or something like that) with the bill for Grady's dog license, along with a flyer showing a photo of an offical poop bag in the curb that said "Das muss nicht sein!", which I have been told means "This is not right!". Good thing the little green dispensers are attached to little garbage cans. My days of fun are over.