Monday, May 24, 2004

Alert the FCC!

I think we've mentioned that the primary advertising on the music channels here is for downloading ring tones for mobile phones (more on this later). Well, this weekend I kept hearing a catchy little ballad and I finally thought I saw that the song was called "F#*k It" by Eamon, but I figured maybe I was just reading the wrong thing. Well, sure enough, today at lunch I finally heard the song on the radio in its unedited version and that was the correct title. I was actually stunned that such a nice song could be so coarse (does this mean I'm getting old?), and that it was played on the radio uncut--it sort of sounded like Justin Timberlake singing gangsta rap. It's pretty catchy, so I'm sure kids all over Europe are singing along. Sing something like this in the U.S. these days and I think you might get arrested, at least in certain states south of the Mason-Dixon line. Here are the lyrics--parental discretion is advised.