Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I wonder if they have anything by Whitesnake...

There was an article in yesterday's Financial Times about how they're going to start publishing a Top 20 list for sales of ringtones--I'm telling you, this seems to be huge business here. I would try it out if the instruction manual for my mobile phone weren't only available in German, French and Italian. According to the FT, "At deadline, Eamon's UK Number one single 'F**k It (I Don't Want You Back)' also topped the mobile survey, mercifully in instrumental form. But the top 20 also contained TV themes from Sex and the City, The Simpsons and Mission Impossible, plus back-catalogue rock favourites such as 'Eye Of The Tiger' and 'Sweet Home Alabama'."

"Eye of the Tiger"? And who in the UK is listening to "Sweet Home Alabama"?

[This reminds me that when I lived in LA, for awhile one of our upstairs neighbors used to listen to "Eye of the Tiger" at deafening volume over...and over...and over again, day...after day...after day. To be blatantly stereotypical, I think he had recently moved from one of the Balkan countries--Serbia, Croatia, one of those--and maybe Survivor was hugely popular on the radio there. Having been to a Bulgarian bar in New York and heard the stellar music selection, it wouldn't surprise me.]