Thursday, June 10, 2004

Avoid blue-green algae, people told

You may not believe me, but this is the top headline in the local Madison newspaper today. I realize that posting this topic could greatly jeopardize any credibility I have with Kirk over the beauty and quality of Wisconsin lakes, but I guess I'll just have to take the risk. The headline was too funny to pass up. The article goes on to say that one of the Madison beaches had to be closed yesterday after local officials announced that the lake (Lake Kegonsa) contains high levels of blue-green algae that can produce fatal toxins. I know, some of you Californians are now laughing about the fact that I would suggest that we have "beaches" in Wisconsin, but I'll take swimming with muskies and walleyes any day over jellyfish and sharks.