Monday, July 12, 2004

Why is this so difficult? (2)

While driving on the motorways may be easier here than back home, I'll never understand why doing laundry here has to be such a royal pain in the behind. Other than not speaking the language, it's probably the most inconvenient thing about living here. You can only wash very small loads, and a load of laundry takes about an hour to wash, but that's the easy part. The real hassle is drying--it's an epic chore. No matter how hot the dryer gets, clothes don't get dry. It's not uncommon to leave a load of clothes in the dryer for several hours and still have to hang everything to finish drying despite it being scorching hot to the touch. How can things get that hot but still remain damp? [Yes, I realise there is probably an easy scientific explanation I'm missing...] Plus, you have to remember to empty water from the dryer since it doesn't vent out, but collects in the dryer itself. When I was back home last week I probably did five loads of laundry in the time it takes to do one load here, with nothing to hang. I've heard it suggested that clothes actually get cleaner here (which I can believe), and that washers and dryers are more energy-efficient (which I find harder to believe since it takes so much longer). We're actually lucky to have our own washer and dryer (and room to hang clothes)--some people who live in apartment buildings and share laundry facilities are assigned a time to do laundry and that's the only time they're allowed to use the facilities--I've heard of people having to take time off work every week because they got assigned a time during the work day (they can't even think about doing laundry after 10:00pm--strictly verboten). If it takes us a whole weekend to do our laundry, I don't know how people can get theirs done in a two- or three-hour weekly time slot.