Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Henriette

I met Henriette for the first time this morning. She's the French woman Kirk hired while I was gone to clean the house once a week. By the time I left the house to walk Grady at 7:00 am she had already finished ironing our shirts and folding our laundry in the basement. Kirk has convinced me that we should keep her even though I'm back and can certainly clean the house myself. Frankly, I don't miss ironing shirts or cleaning the bathtub. I also like her because she gives Grady a hug when she sees him. But I have to admit I did feel like a bit of a slacker sipping a latte at Starbucks while she cleaned our house. What kind of hausfrau am I? As for Starbucks, I know that makes me sound like a pathetic American, but their big velvety chairs are just so comfy. Not to mention that it's one of the very few places in Basel where smoking is verboten (not allowed).