Saturday, August 07, 2004

Huh?

At one point when I was walking around Zurich this afternoon, I came across a place called the Hotel California (there was plenty of room). Anyway, what really caught my eye were the flags above the awning: California flags (homemade, not authentic) interspersed with Confederate flags. Excuse me?! I mean, I'll readily admit that I'm ignorant about a lot of European history so I shouldn't be the first to cast stones, but I thought it was pretty obvious that Confederacy=South, California=West. (It would be sort of like saying the Swiss are the same as the Germans.) That's not to say that there aren't parts of California where people may fly the Confederate flag to make a statement of some sort, but probably less than just about any other state (except for possibly Hawaii). Virginia, on the other hand...