Tuesday, August 03, 2004

This must mean something

I've been feeling a bit disoriented being back in Basel today, and it didn't help that I had to drive through the worst intersection in town at rush hour to pick Grady up from the kennel (there are no stoplights, so this webcam understates how harrowing it can be for a novice):



At one point I was stuck in another intersection not knowing who had the right of way, trams on all sides, and a bunch of pedestrians pointed at my Virginia plates and started laughing and/or staring, and the only songs I could find on the radio were the French rendition of the old Mary Wells song, "My Guy", and "Maniac" by Michael Sembello from the Flashdance soundtrack. Good times. Anyway, when I was driving home from dinner tonight, I flipped to one of the local stations, Radio X (sounds edgy, doesn't it?), and they actually had an English language program I hadn't heard before. It was just wrapping up, but to close out the show they played a country/bluegrass remix of the Guns N' Roses song, "Paradise City" by some group called Handsome Hank and His Lonesome Boys who are evidently quite popular in Switzerland and Germany. A most surreal welcome home, I must say...