Monday, November 22, 2004

On the other hand

While there is so much to like about Paris (even the people, despite their reputation, are generally pretty friendly, especially if you make even a half-hearted attempt to speak French), there is one major scar on the city: Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport. I'm convinced that there is a special place in hell for the folks who designed CDG. I remember when I took my first-ever trip to Europe a few years back and asked my boss if she had any advice about itineraries, etc., and she had only one tip: never, ever, ever connect through Paris unless absolutely necessary (naturally, I ignored her advice and ended up stuck in the airport for six hours when my flight was canceled and there was a big strike--lesson learned). Prior to this weekend I had really only been to the international terminal, which was built--and, near as I can tell, last cleaned--in the '50s or '60s, but I had higher hopes for the main terminal. Silly me! While a bit more modern, it still manages to have the charm, efficiency, and cleanliness you might expect from a post-Soviet era Eastern bloc airport (actually, I think both Vilnius and Warsaw may have had more charm and efficiency).