Monday, December 06, 2004

I just saw Niggi-Näggi

He looked like Santa Claus to me, but the sign announcing his visit at the local "mall" where I just bought Christmas lights and a tree stand called him "Niggi-Näggi". Lots of kids were lined up to see him, but from what I could tell, they were all terrified once they came face to face with him. He was offering them Grättimaa, (I'll explain what they are later), clementines, and nuts. They didn't seem interested in his gifts. Maybe they were all too worried about being put in a sack and sent back to the Black Forest (supposedly that's what happens to the bad kids on Santiglaus-Daag). I've actually developed quite a liking for Grättimaa, which are basically bread in the shape of a little man with sugar sprinkled on top. Sometimes they have chocolate chunks baked into them which makes them even better. In a way they're like gingerbread men without the ginger. All the stores and bakeries in Basel are selling them right now, and most places have cardboard Grättimaa hanging by string from the ceiling announcing their availability.