Monday, December 06, 2004

"San Diego Super Chargers"

It's understandable if you don't know the tune to the 1970s Dan Fouts/Don Coryell-era disco song referenced in the title, but I'm certainly singing it to myself today (download and listen for yourself--it's the sound of my childhood, I tell ya). See, the woeful San Diego Chargers--who were picked by everyone (including me) to finish well below .500 this year--have a two-game lead in the AFC West. (Great quote from that article, by the way: "With this team, it gets tight. But when it gets down to nut-cuttin' time we get it done." I have absolutely no idea what that means.) Now I probably shouldn't jinx it because they've had a habit of clutching defeat from the jaws of victory over the years, but they're on a pace to make the playoffs in the toughest conference in football. (And, being in Switzerland, I'll miss every minute of it even if they do make the playoffs...)