Monday, February 28, 2005

From Davos to Tokyo

My ski weekend in Davos was wonderful, except for the incredibly cold temperatures! Of course it would've been perfect had my husband been with me... but I managed to have fun skiing on my own (and with a couple friends for part of the time). I've always been more of a morning person than a night owl, and apparently this holds true for skiing as well. Both mornings I was the first person at the hotel to eat breakfast and I was on the first train going up the mountain at 8:15 am. It is such a thrill to be among the first to ski down the freshly groomed trails! On Sunday morning I felt like I was skiing "off piste" (as they call it here) because I was making new tracks in a few inches of untouched, fresh snow that had fallen overnight. Wow, it was beautiful (despite feeling like my nose had frozen solid after the first 15 minutes). Skiing in the Alps is really like a dream come true for me.

Now we're off to Japan and I am so excited to finally be going there. As Kirk mentioned, twice in recent years I had to cancel work trips to Japan at the very last minute-- in 2002 because it was right after my Dad died and I had just spent several weeks in Wisconsin, and in 2003 because of new work responsibilities that were keeping me busy (which turned out to be a good thing because that was about the same time that we were making a decision about our potential move to Basel and we had already had plenty on our minds).

I think it's time that I start packing. It's interesting how much easier it's gotten for me to pack for trips. As Kirk can attest to, back in our DC days, I used to start putting out clothes for upcoming trips almost a week in advance. Compare this to when we went to London/Dublin a couple weeks ago. I had to leave the house at 10:30 am that day and I was packing at 10:00. I still have a lot of work to do, however, on reducing the size of my suitcase. I am so envious of people who can just take carry on for every trip, even if it's 10 days in Japan. (Kirk, you weren't thinking we would do that for this trip, were you??)