Monday, March 21, 2005

Good reading

I've been on a pretty good streak of books lately. If you like mystery/crime fiction, I've really enjoyed a couple of books by Ken Bruen, The Guards and The White Trilogy (which I actually read some time ago). Really distinctive, spare, dark style very unlike your typical American crime novel. Also, I just finished Snowleg by Nicolas Shakespeare, which explores the evidently complicated post-war relationship between England and Germany, as well as between the former East and West Germany, not to mention being a meditation on personal regret. A bit slow at times and maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but having found Berlin and Dresden to be intriguing when we visited a few years ago, I found it to be an interesting, well-written book. Finally, I'm currently in the midst of Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre, which somehow manages to be a dark, profane, quite funny satire (sort of Catcher in the Rye-esque) revolving around a Columbine-style school shooting (a natural source of comedy, I know). I suppose I should wait until I finish to pass judgement, but so far definitely a big thumbs up.