Sunday, March 13, 2005

Grady and his ailments

We took Grady to the vet on Friday to have his bloody tail looked at (among a few other things...). Next thing you know we come home with three new "medicines" for him and now I feel like I need to keep a chart to keep track of it all! Twice a day, I have to put a couple drops of an all-natural product called WUND er TROPFEN on his tail to help heal his wound. It smells strongly of lavender, and now so does our entire house. Three times a day I have to put eye drops in his right eye which is apparently suffering from conjunctivitis. My description of it to the vet is that his eye has been very "goopy". How do you translate that into German? Also three times a day I have to give him these huge pills that are supposed to help with his joints. We've noticed over the last couple months that he limps when he first gets up from a nap. We figured it was the start of arthritis, but the vet found an area that seems to hurt him around his right shoulder (did you know dogs have shoulders?) and he suspects that he injured it at some point. I suspect it's from all his jumping around at the kennel. These pills were the most expensive, costing close to $100! When I got home I looked them up online and discovered that you can get the same thing (without a prescription) from pet stores in the US for about $25! If it works, you can be sure I'll be ordering some online rather than pay these ridiculous Swiss prices. Later this week, I'll take Grady back to the vet for a follow-up appointment, and also to get his microchip installed. I think it's now mandatory for all dogs in Basel, and we've procrastinated long enough. My poor puppy... I hate it when he doesn't feel good. I guess this is all part of dogs getting older. I dread that.