Sunday, June 26, 2005

Really clean mushrooms

I was just washing mushrooms because I'm planning to grill some veggies (among other things) for dinner tonight. Every single time I cook with mushrooms I think of the first time I ever washed mushrooms. My Mom always loved telling the story. It was one of those things I brought up for years because it always made her laugh. I'd say "Mom, remember that time you asked me to wash mushrooms for dinner?", and then she'd retell the story. It really wasn't even that funny, but it's just a good childhood memory. I'm not sure how old I was. I guess I was old enough to help in the kitchen but not old enough to know better. A few minutes after asking me to wash the mushrooms, she found me in front of the bathroom sink which was filled with soapy water... and the mushrooms! Nobody had ever told me that you don't wash mushrooms with the same Dial soap that I used to wash my body. I suppose we had to throw them all out. I was probably OK with that, because I never like mushrooms as a child anyway.