Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Tour de Wisconsin

You've heard of the Tour de France, but tomorrow I begin on the Tour de Wisconsin. Actually, it's nothing like the one in France, because I won't be riding a bike or anything, but I thought the name was catchy. Here in Basel, our place will become a bachelor pad as I leave Kirk behind to continue working hard to bring home the bacon and dogsit Grady. Considering how much time I used to spend traveling back to Wisconsin while living in Washington, it's hard to believe that it will have been a year since I've been there. Actually, I will be flying over there exactly one year to the day after my Mom died. The year has really flown by... it's been filled with all sorts of amazing experiences and I love living in Basel, but am really looking forward to a trip back to the homeland.

I'm calling it the Tour de Wisconsin because I'll literally be driving around the state. I'll be splitting my time (almost 3 weeks!) between my sister's house just outside of Milwaukee, our family's cabin in northern Wisconsin (Three Lakes), and Madison, which is where I grew up and where I lived with my Mom for 4 months last summer. The most exciting thing will be seeing my sister and her family and lots of very good friends who I miss a lot. And the food, of course. I could probably write a whole post just about lots of yummy things I plan to eat while I'm there. A few days ago, my dear friend Nanci asked "Will you have enough time to eat all that you want to while you're here?". Hopefully, yes, and hopefully she will be joining me for much of it! The trip will also be filled with a whirlwind of emotions, as I suspect I will be flooded with lots of memories of the last time I was there, caring for my Mom, and ultimately losing her to cancer. I can't imagine how weird it will be to see the house where I grew up, and where my parents lived for 40 years, now occupied by new owners.

I'm not sure how much I will blog over the next few weeks, but I'm sure Kirk will contribute plenty while I'm gone, keeping everyone posted on the excitement around Basel, including the upcoming Swiss National Day (which I will miss for the 2nd year!). Now it's time for me to get packing so I can get to the pool this afternoon. It's going to be a hot one!