Monday, July 25, 2005

A few of my favorite things

From all of Kirk's recent posts about Copenhagen, one might wonder whether I had any thoughts at all about the weekend! I guess I had better add my two cents, but really, I could just say "ditto" to all of what Kirk has already said. We had a great weekend and really enjoyed Copenhagen. Then again, when do we not enjoy traveling? I can't really think of anytime we came home from a trip and said "That place really sucked". Fortunately, we always find something we like about everyplace we visit.

Kirk asked me as we were eating dinner on Saturday night if I had any highlights of our Copenhagen weekend. The first thing I thought of were the roller coasters! We had a great time on Friday night at Tivoli Gardens. It's one of the world's oldest amusement parks and has been right in the center of Copenhagen for over 160 years. We rode some fun rides and had a good time people watching. We saw lots of happy kids were eating huge ice cream cones and "candy floss" (what we know as cotton candy).

We also found that Copenhagen had wonderful bakeries. That's saying a lot, considering we frequently rave about the bakeries in Switzerland. We ate lots of "Danish", although they're not at all like the Danish you find in American bakeries. What we call Danish, they call Wienerbrod, which is really confusing because that means Vienna bread. Yum. It was all good.

Most of all, I think the highlight for me was buying fresh peas! As we've mentioned before, lots of fruits and veggies have a season in Basel, such as cherries, asparagus, and strawberries. Clearly it is pea season in Denmark right now. They were being sold at little street markets everywhere. I bought a big bag of them first thing on Friday morning, and ate them as we walked throughout the city.



Then again, on Saturday afternoon as we were sitting at a cafe, I saw a woman across the street with a cart full of peas for sale. I bought another bag and these peas were even better. I brought so many peas with me back to Basel that I'm actually taking a bag of them to share with a friend this afternoon!