Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What I learned

I've always known that you should never get between a mother bear and her cubs, but this weekend I learned a new mountain survival tip: never get between an elderly British couple and a field of wild flowers. This must be one of the prime wild flower seasons at higher elevations, because the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg was filled with sweet elderly Brits tripping over themselves to identify and take pictures of all the flowers. Everywhere we went we heard conversations like "Ooooh, I do say that one looks rather like a yellow chalice flower!" "Oh, yes, quite." Meanwhile, I just wanted to see an Edelweiss, and naturally every time I mentioned that, Gretchen would start singing "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music...I'm still not sure I ever saw any, but now I've got the song in my head.