Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Food, food, and more food

One of our DC friends recently commented to me that our blog is always about food and traveling. Well, duh! We do a lot of traveling and we love food! I suppose I need to blog a bit about my recent travels to, and eating in, Wisconsin. I did a lot of it over the last couple weeks (eating that is), and believe me, none of it was healthy. I love Wisconsin food, but I would seriously have to learn to control myself if I were ever to live there again. Considering this was my first time back to Wisconsin since last August, however, I felt justified in eating anything and everything that I wanted. That included a fair bit of frozen custard from Culver's and Kopp's, a few delicious brats topped with sauerkraut, Nueske's bacon (a local favorite), a Clasen's morning bun from Brennan's, lots and lots of cheeseburgers (probably my most missed American food), and, yes, cheese curds (both fresh from the Madison farmer's market and fried from the Wisconsin State Fair). I even enjoyed some good Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese food during my visit. Believe it or not, all you nay-sayers, Wiscconsin does actually have a good selection of Asian cuisine (certainly better than Basel).

Many of my noteworthy eating experiences were at the Wisconsin State Fair, which I visited last Saturday in Milwaukee with my sister and her family. Amazingly enough, it was our first visit ever to the State Fair. From what I could tell, eating is the main source of entertainment at the fair, unless you're really into farm animals. I liked seeing the cows and goats, etc., but we're not farmers so I'm really not interested in what makes a winning holstein. The amount of food booths at the fair is really remarkable. The number of things they serve deep-fried or on a stick is even more impressive. I did try ordering a pork chop on a stick, but unfortunately they were sold out so I got a pork chop sandwich instead.

This food booth sums it up pretty well. Wisconsin is "The Big Cheese", after all.



For all you cheese curd fans, here's Natalie and I loving the deep-fried delicacy.



I took this picture for Kirk, who really hates sauerkraut. I'm not sure how they fry it, nor did I try it.



It's sweet corn season in Wisconsin right now, and I think I ate more corn on the cob over the last two weeks than in my whole life. The best was at the Three Lakes Firemans Picnic where you can dip your cob of corn in a big tub of melted butter. Here's my sister's family enjoying some corn at the fair.



Last, but certainly not least, we wrapped up our evening at the fair with the world famous cream puffs. Apparently, this was the 81st anniversary of the cream puff at the Wisconsin State Fair, and this year they sold 348,082 cream puffs over the 11 days of the fair. They are HUGE, and both disgusting and delicious all at the same time. We shared 2 among the 6 of us and still threw out a few bites.



Bennett finished up by licking the plate of cream at the end, and his expression pretty much sums up how I felt by the time I left Wisconsin on Monday. No more eating for me!