Monday, August 29, 2005

Hurricane day

I woke up this morning to learn that our area of our condo (Perdido Key, FL) will likely escape the worst of Hurricane Katrina. Unfortunately, the fabulous city of New Orleans is facing the terrible devastation of a category 5 hurricane. It's kind of crazy to think about an entire city being built below sea level, isn't it? The last time I was in New Orleans was in the spring of 2003. I have one really distinct memory from that visit that will always stick with me. My Dad always loved the Dixieland jazz that New Orleans is so famous for. In fact, as he had once suggested, we arranged to have a trumpet play "When the Saints Go Marching In" at the close of his memorial service. It was just his style. It was about 6 months after he died that I was visiting New Orleans on that work trip in 2003. I was taking a stroll through the French Quarter soaking in the sights and sounds that the city has to offer and all of a sudden a Dixieland jazz band started up on a street corner. What did they play? "When the Saints Go Marching In", of course... what a memory... It was almost as if my Dad was there.

It's probably a good thing that I have to take Grady to Zurich this morning to have a check-up with the elbow surgeon because otherwise I might just sit in front of the TV or computer watching live coverage. At this point, what more can they say? Everybody knows it's coming, and everybody knows it's going to be bad. Now it's just a matter of waiting to see what happens. I wish nothing but the best to everyone along the Gulf Coast.