Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Chinese food, Basel style

Tonight my friend Marlis and I went out for dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant since both of our boys are on business travel this week. It's actually pretty good, although it's a far cry from the carryout kung-pao chicken you can get in the States for $6.95. For dinner, they offer a special menu for 29 CHF (about $27) and you can choose one soup, one appetizer, and one chicken/pork/beef entree. Not bad for Swiss prices! I knew it would be too much food, but what's better than Chinese leftovers the next day?! I purposely left some of my chicken with ginger and leek on the plate so I could take it home with me. When we asked for the check, I told the waitress I'd like the rest of my chicken and rice zum mitnehmen (to go). She said "No, sorry". I figured she didn't hear me correctly, or that I didn't hear her correctly. So I repeated myself, this time in English, and said I'd like to save the rest for tomorrow. She confirmed with me that because I ordered off the special "menu", I wasn't allowed to take any of it zum mitnehmen. I'm serious. I was already full, as was Marlis, so they threw away the rest of my yummy chicken. I was appalled. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I know the Swiss aren't into taking home doggie bags like Americans are, but this restaurant has a huge sign on the door that says "Chinese Food Take Away", so clearly they're equipped to do so. Bah humbug. No Chinese leftovers for me.