Monday, November 07, 2005

Herbstmesse

For me, it was the weekend of the Herbstmesse. Herbstmesse is the big fall festival in Basel. Although it's totally different from Fasnacht, it reminds me of it in a way because it seems to be the one other time of the year when all Baslers go out downtown to enjoy what the city has to offer. On Saturday, we had a lovely visit from the Macs. We visited the areas around the Munsterplatz and the Messeplatz that were crowded with rides. I came the conclusion that all rides are the same throughout the world. It was funny to see these rides in Basel that looked just like the ones I would've gone on as a teenager at the Vilas County Fair in Eagle River, Wisconsin. I only took a few pictures, but if you'd like to see some fun ones, you should visit Ms. Mac's blog . She has lots of good ones! Here we are enjoying a sausage at Barfüsserplatz. I wonder how many pictures I have of me eating sausages in Europe...



On Sunday, I went back downtown to visit Herbstmesse with my friend Sharon, but this time we explored Petersplatz. This is where there are literally hundreds of stalls selling stuff (including lots of food). It was somewhat like the Basel Christmas market, except that it's not quite winter. I really enjoyed it, but it was an absolute mobscene so I'll need to go back later this week when I can stroll through leisurely, take some pictures, and perhaps buy a few goodies. Nonetheless, I did manage to buy myself another cool scarf to add to my Euro scarf collection (I think I've become obsessed with scarves).

And let's talk about the food for a minute! In addition to the dozens of sausage stands, it's clear that the other big specialities of Herbstmesse are Magenbrot (sort of like gingerbread) and carmelized, roasted almonds. I love the almonds but am not so crazy about the Magenbrot. They also sell lots of chocolate covered fruit and fried apple slices (called Äpfelchuechli or something like that)-- both of which I tried, of course. It reminds me of the Wisconsin State Fair where everything (including fruit) is available fried and on a stick! The eating highlight, however, was Raclette. I had to wait in a long line yesterday and pay 8 CHF for a tiny plate of potatoes, onions, and pickles topped with melty cheese, but it was worth it!