Friday, March 31, 2006

Random pregnancy facts

I'm just starting my 28th week of pregnancy, which means I'm starting my 7th month, just entering the third trimester, and am 2/3 of the way there! Sometimes I feel like I've been pregnant forever. Other than this week, when I've had a terrible time recovering from jet lag (or was it just depression after leaving the beauty of Phuket?), I've been feeling really good. I'm thankful for that because I know there can be lots of complications and troubles with pregnancies. Here are a few random facts about what's happening with me these days...

--I can no longer be mistaken for slightly overweight or just a little thick around the middle. I clearly look pregnant. And it's obvious to me that everyone notices, because everyone stares at my tummy (and sometimes they smile). Earlier today, I was shopping with a pregnant friend (who is due 4 weeks before me) and we actually passed a woman who stopped what she was doing to turn and point us out to her shopping companion. Yes, we're both pregnant. Earlier this week, a woman at the grocery store asked me when the baby was due (Wann kommt Ihr Baby?), so you know there's absolutely no doubt that I'm pregnant!

--We started prenatal (or antenatal as they say here) classes this week. There are a total of 6 couples in the class, all English speakers, including the instructor. It was a bit overwhelming because I've done absolutely no reading, etc about labor and delivery at this point. After all, I still have a few months to go! Afterward, I asked Kirk what he thought... what surprised him, what was overwhelming, what did he learn, what did he think overall... and his response was this: "Well, that was certainly more discussion about the cervix than I've ever heard before!" So true.

--Next week we'll take a tour of the hospital where I'll be delivering. Every time we talk with my doctor about the hospital he says: "Good kitchen". I guess he knows I like good food. I suppose it's important that you like the food considering 5 days is the standard post-delivery hospital stay in Switzerland!

--I can no longer see my belly button.

--It's become difficult to shave my legs in the shower because I can't really reach down that far.

--I don't think I'd be able to paint my toenails any longer. I need to find a place to get a pedicure and it's not like I can just run over the local mall and pay $30 for a great pedicure (with no appointment) as I could in the US.

--We haven't decided on a name yet, but even if we had, you wouldn't know it. We're not planning to share that information with anyone, mainly because everyone feels they have to register their opinion of chosen names. Those of you with children know what I mean. Do I really care to know that the name I like reminds you of the snotty cheerleader you knew in high school? Or your psycho ex-girlfriend? Or the naughtiest kid in 1st grade? Keep it to yourself, please.

--If you thought I had a small bladder and had to pee often before, you should see me now. It's ridiculous. And to think my bladder will only get smaller as the baby grows bigger...

--Baby loved Thailand. How do I know this? Because she moved around ALL THE TIME while we were there. Especially when I went swimming. Or when I ate yummy Thai food. Or when I ate the refreshing watermelon that they were always serving us. This week she's much more subdued. I think she misses the ocean just like I do.

That's all for now. Time for a nap. I never napped before being pregnant but now I love it!