Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Beautiful Switzerland

Last summer when I was back in Wisconsin visiting friends and family, my friend Nanci asked me if I could name a favorite place of all the places we've traveled since living in Basel. That is a very difficult question to answer, and I pondered it for a while. Kirk and I generally love everyplace we visit, if for no other reason because there's always something new to experience... a different culture, new sights and sounds and smells, good food, interesting people... so it's hard to think of just ONE favorite. After careful contemplation, I decided my answer was this: the Swiss Alps. I truly feel there is no place more beautiful (at least based on the small piece of the world that I've seen so far). While cleaning out my parents' house a couple years ago, I found some old school work of mine (maybe from middle school) where I had written about my dream of visiting the Swiss Alps someday. Who ever would have thought that I'd be living just hours away from this spectacular region?! It really is a dream come true for me.

Once again this past weekend, I marveled at the beauty of the Alps during our quick 2-day visit to the Berner Oberland with Dave.

We stayed in a nice (albeit rustic) hotel in Grindelwald. It had to be the cheapest place we've ever stayed in Switzerland-- not because it was a dump, but because it's between seasons (in fact lots of hotels and restaurants were closed for a month) and I think they were happy to have anyone stay there! Here's the view from our balcony.



We took the train up to Kleine Scheidigg for lunch. There were still a few skiers, although the snow was really slushy and I think it was one of the last days of the ski season for this area. We were able to eat outside in the sun wearing T-shirts! Here's the view from where we sat for lunch.



On Sunday, we drove all the way around both the Brienzersee and the Thunersee (the two beautiful lakes that surround Interlaken), stopping along the way in charming towns to take pictures and enjoy the sun. I love lakes. What do you expect, I'm from Wisconsin? But these lakes are unlike any other lakes I've ever seen. The water is a really clear blue-green color that is incredible, especially when the sun is shining...



The Brienzersee once again...



Ahh... beautiful Switzerland...