Thursday, September 21, 2006

Changin' times

This trip to Amsterdam is the first time I've tagged along on one of Kirk's business trips in our new, post-baby world. Once again, I'm reminded of how our lives are changed. Note to self: Remember that you are no longer the boss. Baby is the boss. One of the great luxuries of our Basel experience over the past couple years has been my ability to travel with Kirk and play while he works without having to worry about using precious vacation time from my own job. Thankfully, my employment in Basel as a Hausfrau has provided unlimited vacation time. But this trip is somehow different than all the others... and while I'm very happy that I came along, traveling alone with a baby certainly does present challenges.

Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities. It's such a great place to walk around. I love the people watching, the bikes, the laid-back attitude toward life, the variety in food (we've had excellent Thai and Indonesian meals), the canals, and the ability to speak English with everyone (without feeling guilty while asking "do you speak English?"). Plus, the shopping is great, people seem to have a very cool sense of fashion, and there are street cafes everywhere.

One of my main goals in coming to Amsterdam was to shop. I absolutely hate shopping in Basel (for clothes and shoes, etc). I can never find any stores I like there. And while I'm no fashionista, I find most of the fashion in Basel quite bizarre and unappealing. I remember from past trips that I love the shopping in Amsterdam. Reasaonable prices for good quality and unique styles. I desperately need new clothes because I'm in that ugly post-pregnancy stage. Nothing fits me. And I don't feel good in anything I wear. My self-esteem needs a boost.

Have you ever tried shopping in a foreign city with a 3-month old baby who no longer likes to spend much time in her stroller? Herein lies the challenge. I have to time it perfectly. The moment she falls asleep in her stroller I race into a store to find a few things to try on. No time for careful contemplation. If it fits and I like it, I buy it. My time is limited and I know that any minute she will wake and cry and want to be held upright so that she can see where we are and watch the people walk by (she loves to see her surroundings).

Have you ever tried to take a stroller (actually, a European-style pram) into a changing room? They don't fit. So I usually try to find a changing room at the end so I can leave the drape thing open. Otherwise I have to leave her out of my sight, which may actually be acceptable in Europe, but my American sense of paranoia comes out.

Have you ever tried to use a toilet while your baby is in her stroller and all the bathrooms seem to be really small? When I'm in Basel, I know where there are good bathrooms where I can take her along and fit into a handicpped stall (usually department stores). While in Amsterdam I have limited myself to very few pees during the day. This is not normal for me. I have a tiny bladder and usually stop several times a day. But now I have no choice! Yesterday, while having lunch at a small cafe, I managed to pee while holding Baby while I left the stroller (with all my purchases) outside hoping that only honest people would walk by.

Then there's the issue of public diaper changing. I've mastered the skill of changing a poopy diaper with her lying in her stroller on a side street (my attempt at being sort of out of view of the general public). Not that I like it, but I can do it. You can't always find a changing table when you need one. And there's the issue of public breast-feeding. Sorry if you don't like it. This baby refuses a bottle and the breast is the only way she eats so it's got to be done! Thankfully I've gotten very few stares while nursing in Amsterdam and usually it comes with a smile from other women who seem to be saying they know what I'm going through.

The bottom line is this: I still love traveling. I still love Amsterdam. My shopping has been successful. Most importantly, life is definitely different with a baby!