Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Simple gifts

Today I was the recipient of two special treats:

(1) My official Swiss Führerausweis (drivers license) arrived in the mail. Why, you might ask, am I only now getting a drivers license when I've been here close to three years and am slated to return to the States in a few months? Desperation, pure and simple. My license back home expires at the end of the month, so I figured I'd just renew over the internet like I'd done before. Wrong! Turns out if you renewed over the internet previously, then the next time you actually have to show up in person at your friendly local DMV to renew it again. As much as I would have liked to go home and visit friends, it seemed like a lot of time and money to fly all the way home for such a mundane little task. Luckily the good folks at the local Motorfahrzeugkontrolle very quickly exchanged my US license for a brand spankin' new Swiss one. Wunderbar!

(2) Gretchen and Baby paid a surprise visit to the office at lunchtime, and as if that wasn't nice enough, they also came with birthday cake to share with my colleagues. Since I didn't tell anyone at the office it was my birthday, Gretchen decided to take the opportunity to publicise it for me. I think everyone would have given me a hard time, but since I was giving them cake they went easy on me. And luckily, Baby was in a much better mood than the first time she visited. (And if you're wondering what's in her hands, it's a big foam wedge of cheese that my dear wife brought me from her fair home state.