Thursday, December 07, 2006

'Tis the season

The last couple days were the official kick-off to the holiday season in Basel. Rather than having visits from Santa on Christmas like we do in the US, Swiss kids can look forward to seeing Samichlaus (the Swiss version of St Nick) on December 5 and 6. From what I could tell, he was everywhere this week-- including at all the grocery stores around the city! In addition to visiting Samichlaus (or Niggi-Naggi) around town, parents can apparently sign-up to have him come to visit kids in their home (usually accompanied by that bad guy Schmutzli).

I got to witness this first hand yesterday when I was taking Grady and Baby out for an evening walk. I passed a house with red Christmas lights bordering the windows, and about 6 little kids all peering out the front window with great anticipation. Sure enough, only minutes later, Samichlaus walked toward me, wished me a "Guten Abend" (good evening), and rang his bell outside the decorated house. The kids began screeching and giggling and running amok at the sight of Samichlaus. It was so cute.

The other fun tradition of this holiday season in Basel are Grättimaa. Grättimaa are sold at every bakery around town, and they look sort of like a bready gingerbread man covered in sugar crystals. I was so proud of myself yesterday because I remembered to pick up a couple Grättimaa at the store as a treat for Kirk and me. Great minds must think alike. Kirk also brought home a Grättimaa for me (he had already eaten his for an afternoon snack). Unfortunately, my Grättimaa were far inferior to Kirk's. I bought mine at the grocery store (Coop), and he stopped at one of the best bakeries in town (Bachman). I ate the one he bought, and today the other two found their way to the trash bin. Sorry guys! The ones from Coop may have looked more like little people, but they sure didn't taste as good as the funny looking one from Bachman!