Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Let the cleaning begin

You know that cupboard in your kitchen that's filled with all sorts of various sauces, oils, and vinegars? I bet you anything that most of them are expired and should be thrown away. Our kitchen now smells like an Easter egg because of all the junk I just poured down the drain. (The smell of vinegar always reminds me of dying Easter eggs as a little girl.) We've lived here only 3 years, yet had a whole shelf full of things that I probably cooked with once-- perhaps in 2004-- and have been sitting there for 2 years beyond their expiration date. Go ahead, check it out. You'll feel better once you toss a few things.

We're moving back to the US in 6 short weeks. No exact date yet for the move, but it's coming fast so it's time for me to start cleaning out cupboards, drawers, and closets. How did accumulate so much junk? My favorite cupboard is the one filled with all the various toiletries, many of which I brought with us 3 years ago and still haven't used. Time for a trip to the dump!