Thursday, May 03, 2007

Mr. Fixit

I really wish I was handy, especially at times like this when our house is in disrepair. I would love to be one of those guys who can fix anything in the house. But alas, I just don't have the touch. Why, you ask? Let me count the ways: (1) I'm afraid I'll do even more damage than there was to begin with--that's one reason I especially won't touch plumbing. (2) I grew up in a relatively new house in a pre-fab suburb, so I really don't remember things actually needing to be fixed very often...I literally don't have a single memory of my parents or a handyman having to fix anything in the house, so I guess I just never learned. (For a kid from the SoCal 'burbs, moving into a 50-year old house was quite a shock.) (3) Between work and Baby, who has time? (4) Perhaps more importantly than having no time, I'll be the first to admit I'm lazy.

All of which is to say I felt oddly vindicated when I read this article (to the extent I could get through it without feeling nauseous). I've never messed around with electrical things for the very reason that I'm sure I would electrocute myself, now I feel like my lack of effort on most other projects can be justified on personal safety grounds.

(At least I'm willing to work in the yard, where my crowning achievement was building a small retaining wall and steps a few years ago...)