Thursday, June 21, 2007

Reason #473 why I'm an idiot

This is a gate:



As you can probably tell from the picture, it sits at the bottom of our stairs. The gate's sole purpose is to keep Grady downstairs, primarily because of my allergies (yes, I'm allergic to my own dog) and so that he doesn't wake Baby up with his various and sundry dog noises.

Since our bedrooms are upstairs, we are constantly coming and going, meaning the gate not only obstructs Grady, but it obstructs us as well. The way I see it, there are two ways to deal with the gate: (1) move it aside, walk past, then move it back; or (2) just hop over the damn thing. I don't claim that it's remotely logical, but for some reason unless I'm carrying Baby I almost always opt for option (2).

For most people this wouldn't necessarily be a problem. But since I have a longstanding tendency toward clumsiness, it should come as no surprise that this sometimes gets me in trouble. Usually it just means I do stupid things like kick the baseboards with my bare feet upon landing because I'm trying to avoid Grady (who likes to curl up on the rug in front of the gate). But today I really outdid myself (I had to stay home to do battle with the DMV over things like license plates, new drivers license, etc). As I was going over, I caught the gate with one of my feet. Somehow this resulted in the gate scraping down my trailing leg (I've been trying to recreate it in my mind and I still don't understand the physics of it).

Suffice it to say this hurt. A lot. Still, I was prepared to just laugh it off until I looked at my shin:



All of which is to explain why I spent the afternoon googling "tetanus shot" and "urgent care" (in the end, I decided against both). And best of all, every time after that when I came downstairs...I still hopped the gate instead of moving it (I just tried to do it more carefully).