Sunday, September 16, 2007

City by the Bay

I love San Francisco. Not only is it a fun city in a beautiful setting, but my first job after college was in the East Bay, so I have fond memories of the area and a few friends from those days who still live there. I hadn't been back in 4-5 years, so I was happy to have a chance to go last week, even if it was for work rather than play. Of course, having not taken any business trips lately, I'd forgotten how much I dislike long flights (5 1/2 hours in this case) in the back of the plane.



I got out there one day early, but I unfortunately spent that day in bed (possibly as a result of some funky tacos). Still, even with limited free time you can do worse than having things like this right outside your hotel:



Not to mention the nearby Ferry Building along the Embarcadero, which is filled with gourmet shops and restaurants. (When I left the Bay Area, there was still a double-decker freeway running along the Embarcadero that had been heavily damaged in the 1989 earthquake, and the city didn't know whether to rebuild it or tear it down and make it more aesthetically pleasing...needless to say, I think they were wise to go with the latter option.)



And as an added treat, I got to see my friends' new baby.



Of course, no trip to San Francisco (call it The City, if you like, but never "Frisco") is complete without eating well. Sure enough, I had some tacos (carnitas, carne asada, and chicken) that tasted excellent but were the leading culprit in the next day's gastrointestinal distress.



I also had a superb breakfast at Mama's, which is always a highlight even with the long wait (about 45 minutes at 8:00am).



And when you're not feeling very well, what's better to eat than raw fish?



So the bottom line is that despite the long flight, not feeling well, not having Gretchen and Baby with me, having to work rather than play (thereby missing chances to see friends and family), I can say I still love San Francisco.