Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Birthday girl

Last night I had ambitious plans--Gretchen was going out for drinks and dinner with her moms group, so after putting Baby to bed I was going to whip up a batch of cupcakes. I was foiled, however, when I looked in the refrigerator and could only find one egg. I left the ingredients out with a note saying there weren't enough eggs, thinking she would at least be impressed that I had good intentions. Instead, when Gretchen got home she asked why I didn't use the new carton of eggs in the refrigerator door that she'd picked up that morning. DOH! Sure enough, I looked past them and instead focused on the mostly empty carton that was right in front of me. That is reason #3,479 why I should never be allowed to have any cooking responsibilities.

The real question, though, is why would I want to make cupcakes in the first place? Because today is Gretchen's birthday, of course, and she loves cupcakes! It would be impolite to say how old she is, so I'll just say that she's not as old as either me, the San Diego Padres, or her not-so-secret crush, Brett Favre, but she is older than Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album and the Watergate scandal.

I'd like to say we have big plans for a romantic night out, but since she came down with a cold and Baby is in a phase of waking up multiple times during the night (teeth, we suspect) and leaving Gretchen sleepless, it'll instead be a night of carry-out Chinese food, maybe an episode of The Wire if we're feeling really crazy, and sleeping by 10:00pm. For all Gretchen does with Baby (who, despite normally being quite affectionate with me, wouldn't let me come near her when she woke in the middle of the night if I tried), she deserves a night of rest more than anything else!

And maybe, just maybe, I'll find some eggs and make my beautiful wife some cupcakes...



(I realize this picture is a few years old now, but I don't have any newer ones with me at the moment...)