Sunday, March 02, 2008

Don't Drink the Water

I read a recent post by Global Librarian that mentioned what a hassle it is to brush your teeth with bottled water, and at the time I read it, I thought to myself that I didn't really remember it being that big of a deal when I've traveled places where using the local water was a bad idea.

Now, having spent a few days in Mexico City and trying to be vigilant about using bottled water...it really is a bigger pain in the rear than I remembered (even it if prevents a rather different pain in the rear...maybe I should just stop there). Luckily the hotel I stayed in actually provide a couple of small bottles of water for that purpose so I didn't have to worry about trying to run out and buy water, but it's still amazing how much water you go through each time you brush your teeth. Probably the hardest thing was just remembering. Brushing my teeth isn't something I usually give much thought to, but I found myself having to consciously think about not rinsing my toothbrush in the sink, which was oddly exhausting. It was probably made more difficult by staying in a nice hotel where it certainly didn't look like you had to worry about the water...at least in a fleabag hotel there wouldn't have been the temptation. At least, knock on wood, my vigilance has so far paid off...